Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Black bean burgers with sweet potato fries

I have been wanting to try more meatless recipes at least once a week, and this is my attempt at a meatless meal today.  It was a big hit and our house, and I will definitely be making this meal again.  So yummy!


Black Bean Burgers: 

 1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 egg
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
1/2 cup bread crumbs
I did not take this picture.  I forgot once again to get one, but took this one from the internet.  Ours looked very similar to this, so it works!

***You can cook these a number of ways, but I baked mine in the oven since I was already baking the sweet potatoes at the same time.  My oven was set to 425 degrees, but the recipe recommends 375***

-Preheat oven
-Mash black beans until thick and pasty
-In a food processor, chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic.  Then stir into mashed beans
-In small bowl, stir egg, chili powder, and cumin together
-Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans.  Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together.  Divide into patties. (I had enough to make 6 patties)
-Place patties on baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes each side.

We put our patties inside of a whole wheat pita and then topped it with your normal hamburger toppings

Yummy!! (Make sure you have some beano on hand though before you eat this meal; really, do.)


Sweet Potato Fries:


4 small sweet potatoes, sliced thin
1 T olive oil
Seasoning of choice (I used plain old seasoning salt)

-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
-Slice up potatoes and place in plastic bag with  oil until well coated.
-Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with seasoning salt
-Bake for 15 minutes on each side until crispy!

No comments:

Post a Comment