Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Getting More Bang for Your Buck!

Any mom out there knows that trying to work out with children can be a challenge; in fact for the most part it is always challenging! It just comes with having kiddos.

Take these scenarios for example:

-You plan the night ahead that you are going to wake up really early and work out before they wake up. I mean you plan to get up REALLY early. You set out everything you need, plan your workout, and you go to bed motivated and committed to getting the best workout. Well it seems that your children have a sixth sense because they wake up REALLY early the next morning as if they were anticipating your plan and wanted to be a part of it as well! This happens a lot in our house.

-So the kids got up really early, but you are still committed to getting the workout done.  You give each time plenty of things to keep them occupied; a movie, coloring items, snacks, toys, etc and you place all these items in the same room as you thinking that if they see you, they will be content.
Well it just so seems that on this day all they really want is YOU! In fact, they NEED you! They need you to color; they need you to get them more juice, more pancakes, they need you to hold them, etc. This happens a lot in our house as well!

There are a million more scenarios that I could come up with, but you get the idea; it just doesn't always go as you planned!

Obviously my children are my highest priority, but working out is also a huge priority for me. I feel like I am a more patient mother through out the day when I have that time to work on myself. That might sound selfish, but I NEED that time.

I like to work out between 30-60 minutes everyday, but on those days where that just isn't going to happen I hit it hard in my workout and try to get more bang for my buck! I use the Hiit (High Intensity Interval Training) method and workout harder and I feel that my "tank" is full for the day.

Incorporate interval training in your workout on those days when all your plans seem to unravel, which unfortunately seems to happen quite often doesn't it?

Here is a cardio routine that will get your heart racing and that incorporate the method of interval training:

(I found this workout from another fitness enthusiast's blog):

60 jumping jacks
20 push ups
20 walking lunges
20 mountain climbers
30-60 second wall sit
20 prisoner squats
10 burpees
20 high knee run in place
15 jump squats
15 cherry pickers

*Repeat this 2-5 times, depending on how much time you have

Make your own by just doing a variety of plyo and strength moves and you will be good to go!

1 comment:

  1. Just finished this workout! Its awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete