Whenever I go groccery shopping I come home feeling torn. I always feel like I spend too much money on food so I feel guilty about that, but then at the same time I feel happy that I have lots of healthy options for my family to eat. I struggle big time sticking to a groccery budget, and I have decided I need to be more frugal with my shopping. Lately I have felt more guilt than satisfaction when I get home from shopping, so that is my cue that I need to make some goals and form a plan to reach those goals if I want to see any change
Currently, I do plan a weekly menu and I am pretty good about sticking to that plan. This is something that I struggled with in the past, so I am happy with the progress I have made in this area. We eat lots of healthy and yummy meals in our house, and that makes me feel good about my role as a homemaker. I only plan dinner at this point, but I am thinking I will start to plan our other meals and snacks too. I think the more planning I do I will be more organized and that will help me to avoid some impulse buys.
So here are some goals that I am setting to helps me become a more frugal groccery shopper:
-My weekly budget will be around $125. Some weeks might be less, considering on if I need to stalk up on anything like meat or canned goods.
-To help me reach that goal, I will bring a calculator to the store with me to help me kelp track of where I am at.
-I will have all my meals planned out and my list written up before I head to the store so I know exactly what I need.
-I will stick to my list! This is a struggle for me, so this could be hard for a while b
-I will try to plan more meatless meals to help cut on costs.
Now I want to bring my groccery bill down, but I don't want to sacrifice on health. I am determined to keep feeding my family well on a smaller budget
I am currently stocked up on food, so I should not have to go shopping for a week or 2 (i am hoping 2!) I am going to try really hard to "shop" in my pantry and use what I have on hand before I do a big trip again. I will try to post my meal plan on here as well to help me feel accountable to this endeavor.
Do you have a grccery budget? If so, how do you stick with it? Any good tips you can pass along?
We started doing a budget last septemeber, and its been such a blessing in our lives. One thing that helps me is that we take out cash for our groceries. So, I know what i can spend is in my hand (or wallet). Then I go to the store with a calculator and I know I can't go over the cash I have because i just don't have it available. That works really well for me. And, I hardly ever go grocery shopping more than once a week. But, the cash thing is what really helps me keep to my budget. You can do it!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I read this today. Cameron and I just started a grocery budget because I felt the same way as you. I knew I was buying healthy things and mostly fresh things during each shopping trip, but it was getting SO expensive. I like the idea of what Alisa said about taking cash. I think i might try that next time. Thanks for the blog... I enjoy reading it and it keeps me motivated to be more healthy and fit too!
ReplyDeleteHey! Just found your blog! This post is actually something we've been working REALLY hard at! Our current household budget is tighter than it has been in a LONG time, and we are also saving up money for an adoption. So, we are saving money everywhere we can! Currently, my MONTHLY shopping budget is under $120!!! Everyone thought I was crazy, but we're doing it! Note: This way of eating takes more work, and does not give TONS of fresh produce options, but it is also still fairly healthy.
ReplyDeleteSo, here's how we do it:
Most everything is made from scratch.
I buy in bulk from the Cannery every 3 months. (Note: I have over a year's supply of food storage, so I just replace what we've used. This keeps the cost low and the food rotated)
I use a cash system for grocery shopping
I buy bulk canned fruits and veggies at Sams Club (the BIG cans, usually good for 3 meals)
I grow a garden and can/dehydrate veggies and fruit (lots of apple trees in the area, and most people are happy to let you pick!)
Make friends with other gardeners who will give away their "extras"
We hunt every fall to stock our freezer with meat, so that I can stick to my "under $2/lb" rule for any meat I buy in the store.
Making everything from scratch (seriously, I grind my own wheat!) takes time, but I've got a system figured out! Making my own mixes has helped a TON. I spend one day a month putting together mixes, and then dinner doesn't take any longer than usual the rest of the month!
Okay, I'm sure that's way more than you wanted! :) I'm a little obsessed with the topic right now, sorry!
Good luck with your goals!